The Mega pile is a high-quality alternative to the classic underpinning, applicable in special and difficult working conditions. It is a jacked pile that consists of short cylindrical elements, made from steel or concrete. By excavating underneath a structure, short lengths of pile can be inserted and jacked into the soil with a hydraulic jack, using the underside of the existing structure as a reaction.
1. & 2. The penetration of the segments is obtained by means of a hydraulic jack.
3. During jacking, steel segments are progressively welded together.
4. The jacking operation is continued until the penetration resistance - as shown on the pressure gauge - reaches a predetermined multiple of the pile bearing capacity (i.e. the bearing capacity increased with a chosen safety coefficient).
5. The steel elements are filled up with concrete.
6. The pile is placed under the desired preloading.
Completed Mega pile
Fields of application
• Can be installed in areas inaccessible to the more classic piling techniques and equipment.
• Unlike the classical underpinning method, a pile foundation is realised.
• Most commonly used in underpinning of existing structures or reinforcing of existing foundations.
• The workspace must be located above the groundwater level.
• Simple equipment, no rig is needed.